The passing of Easter brings more than a year of events to remember the 1916 Rising. The Republic’s official program begins 1 August with a commemorative re-enactment of the funeral of Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa. It concludes 3 August 2016 with a commemoration of the execution of Roger Casement.
Here in Washington, D.C., a three-week festival of Irish arts will be staged 16 May to 5 June, 2016, at the John F Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts. I expect other events will appear in the year ahead.
Stories and specialized websites about the centennial are blossoming all over the Web. Here’s a small sampling, which I’ll update in future posts.
- Online Rising exhibition, from the National Library of Ireland.
- Irish Proclamation, from Easter Rising 1916.
- Necology 485, from the Glasnevin Trust.
- The Catholic Church and the Rising, from The Irish Times.
- Woman of the Rising, from Easter 1916.
- Easter 1916 and America, from University College Dublin.
- 50th anniversary in 1966, from History Ireland.
- A video overview of the centennial, from the Irish Independent: