To contact me leave a reply below.
Communications and media professional: writer, editor & researcher
Extensive experience writing nonfiction copy based on assigned and self-directed research, reporting and interviews. * Excellent news judgement and deadline ability. * Expert editing for magazines, newsletters, websites, reports and marketing materials. * Skilled at social media, television and radio, and public speaking. * Numerous journalism awards, reporting fellowship.
Editorial director, American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), Washington, D.C., 2015 – present
- Key player on communications team of national association focused on transportation infrastructure investment for safe and efficient travel and growing the economy.
- Writes and edits ARTBA’s “Washington Newsline,” a weekly (or more) digital membership newsletter and website content.
- Responsible for content development and production of bimonthly “Transportation Builder” magazine, plus other association publications, reports and marketing materials.
- Oversees ARTBA websites and manages junior staff.
Writer & editor, Mark Holan’s Irish-American Blog, 2012 – present
- Original research and reporting, and content curation, for website focused on Irish history and contemporary issues.
- Ireland-related journalism for other publications and websites.
Staff writer, Washington Business Journal, Arlington, Va., 2014 – 2015
- Covered banking, money and other general assignment news and feature stories for online and weekly print platforms, plus social media, video and radio content.
Staff writer, Tampa Bay Business Journal, Tampa, Fla., 2010 – 2014
- Covered commercial real estate and transportation news and feature stories for online and weekly print platforms, plus social media and video content.
Staff writer, The Tampa Tribune, Tampa, Fla., 2002 – 2008
- Covered local government, environment, business and general assignment news and feature stories for daily newspaper and online platforms.
- Diverse and extensive staff and freelance writing and editing experience for newspapers, magazines and online platforms, including assignments for The New York Times, Associated Press, History Magazine, Value Retail News, and others.
- Conducted interviews and document research as a contract investigator for a Tampa, Fla. law firm. Produced discrete reports for civil and criminal cases based on my investigations, including overnight travel.
- Newsletter writer at the University of Massachusetts/Boston.
- Contract field work for U.S. Census Bureau.
- Corporate and Promotional Communications certificate at University of Massachusetts/Boston, 1992, plus earlier study at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Holds dual U.S. & Irish citizenship/passports
- Member, Irish Network-DC
- Member, American Society of Association Executives
- Member, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum
- Former board member, Franciscan Center of Tampa
- Former docent, Tampa Bay History Center